Wednesday, March 9, 2016

DIY Paint Palette Clock


Hello everyone!  I know it's been quite some time since I last posted anything.  I haven't been  sitting idly around not doing anything.  Quite the contrary.  I've been so busy creating and making that I haven't gotten round to taking photos and posting.

I do have a project to share with you today though.  I made myself a clock for my studio out of a wooden artist's palette.  I thoroughly enjoy wasting lots of time on Pinterest and I'd seen a few of these clocks.  They were absolutely beautiful but I wasn't quite willing to spend money on them.  I thought I could make it myself just as easily!  Plus any excuse to run to Hobby Lobby or Michael's and I'm there.

I rounded up a wooden artist's palette, clock motor, and clock hands from Hobby Lobby for about $20.00 (with coupon).  When I got home, I measured out where I wanted the numbers and hands to go and had my husband drill the hole.  Once drilled, I put a coat of gesso on the front and sides.

When I got ready to paint, I wasn't sure what (as usual) where it would go.  I just started laying on color.  I used Pthalo Turquoise and Snow (Titanium) White for my first layers.  I like using one color and white together without mixing it because I can mix it directly on my surface.  Doing this gives me all sorts of fabulous tints without mixing each one by hand and laying each stroke down just so.  I'm not that careful and this way is much more organic.


I knew I wanted to go for a bohemian vibe with this piece and wanted lots of lovely jewel like tones.  I made a glaze of Quinacridone Gold and Acrylic Glazing Liquid.  I brushed it on and wiped some back with a baby wipe, repeating a couple of times.  Then I created a glaze with Quinacridone Red and brushed that in just a few places.  I love how it appears purple where it touches the blue and orange where it touches the Quin Gold.

After my glazes dried - and it takes a while - they're tacky for ages, I used a script stamp by Hampton Art and Jet Black archival ink to add some additional interest.  I used a Mandala stencil and Venetian Gold to create a lovely pattern over the background.  At this stage, I almost wish I hadn't drilled the hole because I think I would have just about left it like this!  I really struggled over the decision to add numbers or leave it.  Finally I decided I would do numbers.

I used a Dylusions stencil (Stacked Brickwork) for the numbers and tried a lot of different things to create numbers that didn't overwhelm or get completely lost.

First I tried Dioxazine Purple and Quinacridone Violet.  Too dark.  I added a glaze of Quin Gold.  No help.  I then tried Green Gold.  Too bright.  Finally I decided to go with Cobalt Teal Hue.  It went really well with the whole piece.  I outlined and smudged a brown Stabilo All pencil to help make the numbers pop.


Up close, the numbers really work.  When the clock is hanging on the wall, I have to admit they are useless.  But I was tired and aggravated by this point and just could not think of anything else to do to them to make them pop without going too bright.

I let everything dry really well and then sealed it with a coat of varnish.  I let that dry overnight and added my clock motor and hands the next day.  I really love how it turned out.  It keeps proper time and is just a fun piece of myself that I know I can enjoy for many years to come!

Here are a few more closeup pictures:



I hope you've enjoyed this project share and are maybe inspired to make your own.

I'm off to create another mess and hopefully share with you again soon!


Have a wonderful day!









 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each comment, blog hug, or bit of love just makes my day so much brighter! I can't thank you enough for taking time out of your busy day to leave me a little message! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...