Thursday, March 19, 2015

An Altered ATC Album



Isn't this just the prettiest little thing you've ever seen?  Ok, maybe not, but I had a blast making it!

I found this Create-a-Cover ATC Fan Deck by Totally Tiffany at Hobby Lobby on clearance.  Who doesn't love a good clearance item?  So I scooped it up! 


The album is super easy to disassemble.  I took it apart and worked only with the chipboard covers.

 I traced the covers onto Graphic 45's "Jasmine Nights" paper from their Bohemian Bazaar collection.  I adore this collection by the way.  Probably my favorite.  But y'all know I love anything that screams "gypsy".

I traced the covers twice each.  I wanted the insides to be that beautiful bright pattern and the outside to be the blue.  I adhered using Mod Podge and set that aside to dry.

While my covers were drying, I took a piece of canvas ribbon and cut it to size.  I used StazOn Ink in Azure and stamped a 7Gypsies text stamp directly to the canvas.

I adhered my canvas ribbon with Mod Podge to the center of the front cover.  This was my "backdrop" for my next element.
 
I had seen, either on a blog or Pinterest, the idea of using Fiber Paste through a stencil on acetate then peeling it up and using it as a separate collage element.  Sounds like a great technique, right?  I decided to give it a try on this layout.

I used the Mini Viva le Art stencil by The Crafter's Workshop.  I spread Golden Fiberpaste through the stencil directly on the stencil's packaging.  Once dry - I did not use a heat gun to speak up the process, I carefully peeled the letters up.  I have to say, this technique was just awesome and worked wonderfully.  I laid my letters onto my craft mat and sprayed Dylusions Ink Spray in Cherry Pie over them.  Fiber Paste soaks up color extremely well.  I used a heat tool to dry and then sprayed a second coat which I let dry naturally.  Fiber Paste used in this manner is sort of flimsy and flexible so I was very careful as I adhered each letter to my canvas ribbon.  I used Ranger's Glossy Accents as my glue.

I wanted to protect my letters and make them pop so I used Glossy Accents all over the top and sides of each letter.  I sat that aside to dry overnight.

I really was not fond of the black ribbon that came with this little journal so I dug around until I found some Tim Holtz Crinkle Ribbon.  I smeared Distress Ink in Peacock Feathers on my craft mat, spritzed with water and drug my ribbon through it.  This was my first time ever using  crinkle ribbon and I really liked the way it picked up the colors.  I knew I wanted to add red to this ribbon so I dried it completely with my heat tool before adding the red.  I used Dylusions Ink Spray in Cherry Pie again with a few light sprays here and there.  I did not add any water or swipe my ribbon through the spray because I wanted the red to stay bright and did not want to make a purple ribbon.  So no water!  I was very impressed with the way the ribbon turned out.  I really thought it would turn purple.

At this point, I walked away from my craft table and went to bed.  I can have a tendency to be like a dog with a bone otherwise.  I knew I would keep fidgeting with my covers and would mess up my Glossy Accents before it was completely dry.

The next day I was very very pleased to see my (now completely dry) cover.  Due to the texture of the Fiber Paste, the glossy accents did not bubble over the letters like it will if you use it on paper.  It still left a nice smooth-ish finish and protected my letters.  I'm hoping that the Dylusions Ink won't seep into the canvas but I guess only time will tell.  It's been a couple of days so far and nothing has turned red that shouldn't have.


I used black Archival ink to ink the sides of the covers, both front and back of both covers.  I wanted to have a really grungy look so I made sure to let the ink pad skim over the top side freely.

I added two sentiment stickers from a set by Cosmic Cricket above my letters.  I added a couple of dots of Glossy Accents to the back to make sure they stay put and I went around the edges with my black Stabilo pencil.

I threaded my new ribbon into the holes on the front cover and re-assembled the journal.  I added twelve of my own ATCs back to back in the six pockets and tied the whole thing together.  This is what it looks like from the front and back when open.


I love this little journal!  I can see more potential for it's use than just housing ATCs but as the envelopes came with it, I wanted to try them.  I wasn't sure how I felt about the whole "tied ribbon" aspect until I knotted it and took the final picture.  Now I know I love it.

So definite yay factor on picking up something random from Hobby Lobby's Clearance Aisle.  I have never seen these things out on the shelves which is typical of my Hobby Lobby.  I think I might have to go grab a few more before they disappear.

Go grab you a plain chipboard journal and make it pretty this weekend!  I'd love to see them!

Until then, Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each comment, blog hug, or bit of love just makes my day so much brighter! I can't thank you enough for taking time out of your busy day to leave me a little message! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...